What to do if there is an earthquake / tsunami
1. If you feel an earthquake a tsunami will follow very soon! Do not wait to hear an official alarm sounded.
- Within 3 to 5 minutes after tremors stop go quickly up hill, east of the tsunami evacuation line shown on your area map.
- If unable to walk, carpool with others If possible.
- Don't hinder emergency vehicles or clutter the highway.
- Do not return to shore after the first wave. More waves may be coming several minutes or even hours later.
2. If an earthquake occurs far away, like Alaska, a tsunami may occur within hours.
- Listen for a local siren, or public service announcement.
- Gather up emergency supplies and warm clothing.
- Evacuate to higher ground.
- Whether resident or guest, have In mind an evacuation route and safe refuge. Suggested gathering points are highlighted on the map.
- Practice your evacuation route annually.
- If a resident or manager know how to turn off main switches gas and water valves.
- Have portable emergency supplies on hand:
- water and food for up to five days
- battery-operated radio
- flashlight and extra batteries
- extra prescription drugs
- a wool blanket
- warm clothes
- first aid kit
Return to City of Yachats Main Page